Rooibos is less astringent and bitter than Ceylon (black) tea and therefore needs less sugar or sweetener.
Rooibos can be reheated without losing any flavour or becoming bitter.
- Warm the teapot by rinsing it with boiling water.
- Place one bag of Rooibos or one heaped teaspoon of Rooibos per cup in the teapot.
- Pour boiling water into the pot and keep it warm. (You can also slowly brew it in a pot on the stove if you want a full-flavour tea.)
- Allow to infuse for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar or honey to taste. Try a refreshing cup of Rooibos with honey and lemon.
- If Rooibos is steeped for 5 – 10 minutes, its antioxidant activity increases significantly.
- Use boiling water with a neural pH. Never use over-boiled water, as the oxygen in the water will be depleted. Proper infusion of the Rooibos won't be possible.
- Rooibos can also be prepared in a microwave oven. For a single cup, place one bag of Rooibos in a cup of cold water and microwave at maximum power for two minutes. (Use a glass teapot and the quantities advised above for larger amounts.)